Posts tagged enlightenment
I’ve never seriously give enlightenment a serious look before, but you can’t help but wonder with everyone talking about e17 to take a look at it. Nobody seems interested in e16 and e17 has been in production for as long as I can remember it seems like. Maybe some year they will release a stable version. I will go through a howto install e17 on Sabayon Linux
Thanks to bearbonez on the Sabayon Linux forum for providing the links to get one started in the right direction. The first thing we need to do is create a folder in your home directory, I called mine e17.
- Open terminal or konsole, should be in your home directory and use $ mkdir e17
- $ cd e17
- $ wget http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/easy_e17/easy_e17.sh
- now we need to change to root in terminal/konsole so su and enter your root password
- # chmod +x easy_e17.sh
- Now before we run the script, make sure you have libmpd installed first, if not:: # emerge media-libs/libmpd
- than continue as normal
- # ./easy_e17.sh -i let it do it’s thing – this will take some time to perform. You will get a message when it is done.
It took me about hour and half to compile all those packages, they go quickly. After that I was faced with how to get it to work with gdm/kdm. The solution:
- # nano /usr/share/xsessions/e17.desktop
- add the following:
- [Desktop Entry]
Comment=Log into e17
- Save and close the file
- #/etc/init.d/xdm restart
- Under Session manager on your GDM or KDM login select e17
An Alternative is to use entrance which will replace your GDM or KDM and is actually pretty nice, you just need to add DISPLAYMANAGER=”entrance” to /etc/rc.conf It’s your choice
To keep yourself updated just run # ./easy_e17.sh -u
I found it very easy to work with, just got to explorer a bit to find the stuff. It’s easier to configure than fluxbox and has more eye candy than fluxbox. It does animated backgrounds OTB and you can even download animated backgrounds through the background configuration. I can still run my gnome applications and kde applications in it. There is even a way to get compiz-fusion working with it. You can even grab themes for it also.